Friday, March 24, 2006

nesting, nesting

All I have to say is poor Jeremy.

For the past few weeks I have been absolutely crazy, and he being the wonderful, amazing man he is, hasn't said a word about my very neurotic and uncharacteristic behaviour.

That being said, I have (or, more accurately, my Mom has) figured out in the time of a 2 minute phone call that I have SNS or, Spring Nesting Syndrome.
believe it, it could happen to you- you might even have it already.

let me tell you my story.


obviously, being in the music business (and not on the producing side) we don't make a ton of cash. so, in the spirit of being good and saving money, i have been fighting my sns and not buying anything......... that is, until yesterday afternoon.

It all started with a trip to physio (turns out that I have a sprained joint/ligament in my shoulder as a result of my car accident this past December). Physio was great, Lisa (my physiotherapist) actually knows what she is talking about, and I am confident that she'll mend me! So after physio, full of confidence, I decide on my way to the subway to pop into Ethan Allen to have a browse and see all the nice furniture and displays. This was a HUGE mistake. there, in the very back of the store, behind all of the sale intems, was one of the cutest floor lamps i've seen. it's okay, i tell myself- it's Ethan Allen, even if it is on sale, I still won't be able to think about it.

At that point, I should have stepped away, or- maybe even sprinted out of the store. but, noooo. I gently turn over the price tag to reveal......... shit. It's much, much less that I thought it was. now the danger signals are going full force, red lights blinking, alarms shrieking..... and instead of bolting, I decide it would be a much better idea to ignore all of this commotion in my head, and go to find Peter- the incredibly nice salesman who greeted me so unpretentiously at the door.

We all know what happens next. Shauna leaves the store, with not only the perfect floor lamp in hand, but also with it's cute partner in crime, the matching (only with a white shade) table lamp. beaming. (me, not the lamps).

Jeremy, who patiently listened to me on the phone describing the lamp, (note the lack of s on lamp). Is expecting to come home to a floor lamp....... and upon entering our home, sees a cute lamp on our side table..... Do you think he believed my story that the floor lamp gave birth? Perhaps........ he was very kind. I think he might even like the lamp(s).

Anyways. I was talking briefly to my Mom this morning, saying I don't know what has came over me (I am in the process of re-arranging our living area) and she's like- 'It's Spring!! you're nesting!!!' smart Mom :)

it's just too bad that my Spring Nesting costs more than some random pieces of twigs, straw and grass, with a bit of mud thrown in to stick it all together. I guess it's only appropriate that the floor lamp has a robins egg/tiffany blue lamp shade!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just for the record, I did say a couple of choice words about someone's behavior, but it was under my breath from a very safe distance (about 2.5 km)

Karmen said...

Ahhhh . . . I can just see the whole scene in my head! You're too funny Shauna :)