Thursday, March 30, 2006

more unexpected free time!

well, well. could it be?? 2 posts in one day??

It is an absolutely beautiful late afternoon. I just rushed home from teaching at my school, to teach a student that comes to my house, to find a message on the phone saying that she is sick and not coming, and so now I have a whole free evening to myself. So, I opened up the windows to let in the fresh spring air (it actually can smell fresh in Toronto, incredibly..... could also seem fresher since we are only a 5 minute walk to High Park). anyways. I thought I'd elaborate on my earlier post, since I don't have to cook dinner ( yay left-overs!) and Jeremy won't be home until 8.

It's funny really. I spend so much time alone- practicing, doing the home thing, until I teach in the afternoons. I feel like this evening should just be like any other time I spend alone. I wonder what it is that makes some moments seem just that little bit more special than others. I just feel really lucky to have some free time, to do whatever I want- on such a sunny and calm evening.

Jeremy is going busking with a bassoonist after work today. I can't wait to hear what kind of comments they get!! Tuba and bassoon! how awesome is that?? They have plans to do it all summer long. I'll try to sneak some pictures one day and post them on the site!!

I am so thrilled with how all of my students are doing this year. I was a bit worried that I was starting to feel burnt out, but starting up teaching this week after March Break has completely erased all doubts in my mind about that. I love it. Next fall I am going to be taking an Orff training course- which I am really looking forward to. Basically it's all about making up games, and dancing and using special instruments to teach little kids music- I can't wait to adapt it all to teaching my flute students. I've already started making up games this year for some of my younger students- which is totally fun! Not only are they learning music, but they get to do it without realizing it- they just think they are playing games for half an hour. It really is a great way to teach, and make a living.

I think it's time for dinner..... and then I'm going to attack all of my disorganized music, and put it all in its proper place. Wish me luck!! (for the organizing that is, not for the dinner part!!)

2 comments:

Karmen said...

Which bassoonist is Jeremy busking with? Catherine? Where are they going?

Nosy Karm . . .

Thumbing Luxury said...

Hey Karmen!
You guessed it! Today they went down to where The Lord of The Rings musical is playing, and I know they have a ton of other potential locations worked out for the rest of the summer!!