Monday, August 14, 2006

I've fallen flat on my face and I have to get up as fast as I can before anyone notices...

It seems my body got tired of feeling healthy, and thus decided it was time to inflict more damage upon itself. The other day on my way home from Noah's (a health food store here in Toronto- how ironic is that?) I fell. Not just a normal scrape your knees kind of fall, or even a slip off the side of the curb and twist your ankle kind of fall. A friend of mine recently had an accident in Spinning Class, and sprained her ankle when her bike pedal broke and her foot got stuck in the strap and continued to spin around and around out of control. At least she has an excuse!! I however, have absolutely no poor sucker to place any blame on. No spinning bike to push over in a post accident rage. Not even a nice rounded curb to kick in post fall anger.

The other day, coming home from Noah's with my 2 bags, I exited the subway station via my normal route- out of the 'illegal' exit over the street car tracks, thus saving valuable time (maybe a minute?) on my way home. Really, it's not that bad. Tons of people do it all the time. You just have to make sure that the bus isn't coming and that the street cars haven't dinged the bells announcing their departure.

So, there I was carrying my 2 health food bags, halfway out of the station, when the streetcar driver decided to ding his bell. No worries, I was half way to the exit, and would be out of the station before he even started driving. Just incase though, I thought it would be a good idea to pick up the pace a bit. The next thing I knew, I was down on the concrete. I didn't trip or stumble- I wasn't at the track yet, so I didn't fall over that. I just hit the ground with full force for no apparent reason. This was not a normal fall. Apparently my body had decided that it would be a fun thing to randomly belly flop onto and then slide along the pavement.

So there I am, down on the ground. And what is the first thing that goes through my mind? NOT am I injured in any way, NOT did I just wreck my beloved miu miu sunglasses, NOT did I just spill the entire contents of my bags all over the place. Nothing rational like that. My first thought was- "Oh CRAP!! I hope nobody saw me!! I better get up before anyone comes to help, or before the street car driver notices that someone is out for the count on the concrete just beside his tracks!!" And as fast as I went down, I was back up again and hauling ass out of the station. I remember trying to put my sunglasses on- but they seemed to be bent, so I just held on to them. And the crazy thing is that I still had my grocery bags in my hands!!

Feeling a little shaken up, and realizing with each step that I had totally crushed my left knee cap, I tried to maintain a bit of composure as I walked past other pedestrians on the sidewalk up to my place. And then I was home. I looked in the mirror as I walked in the door, and started LAUGHING!!! I was totally covered in black filth. My bags had dozens of mini tears from the force of hitting and sliding across the ground, so different bits of boxes and groceries were poking through in some attempt to escape. My wrists were amazingly only scraped up and bleeding a bit. And through some sort of miracle, my linen/cotton blend pants although looking black instead of cream, were not even ripped!!

I quickly changed out of my blackened clothes and began the clean up. I picked out the rocks and dirt stuck in my wrists, washed off the dirt on my face- realized I'd also hit and cut my upper forehead, so I cleaned all of that. Then, while giggling away at myself, before I even attempted to look at my knees, I decided it would be a good idea to make sure I hadn't lost any of my groceries. I got the receipt, and lined up each corresponding item on the counter- all in a neat, organized row. Everything was there. So then, (maybe in a bit of shock??) I thought it would be a good idea for me to lay out my dirty clothes on the bed, so that when Jeremy got home, he could see the aftermath of my big bail. Weird, I know. I didn't even shed a tear- until Jeremy walked in the door- and even then, it was some weird giggling, sobbing, followed by more giggling kind of tears.

I am much better today- although still moving a bit slow, and with not quite the range of motion I would like in my neck!! Well, what can you expect, really, when you belly flop on concrete??
Because of the flash, you can't really see how dirty these actually are!! There's even an imprint of a metal washer on them!!

washer!!

This picture cracks me up for a couple reasons..... it is so funny I just had to show it!!! Notice the purse strap line? Or how the dirt kind of looks like an angry face?
hehehe ;)

That's all for now- time to do laundry and pack!!

1 comment:

Karmen said...

Too funny Shauna! I laughed so hard when I read that, because I could just picture it! But as I was leaving work today, karma bit me in the butt: I was walking across the C-train tracks on 7th ave, and I fell!! No big scratches, but one of my pretty red shoes is really scuffed up :( (I'll take a picture of it later tonight.) Some nice lady tried to help me up, and I think I snapped at her, saying I was alright - more embarrassed than anything! Just to prove I was okay, I jogged down the next block, like I had somewhere to be in a hurry!

*sigh* What a clumsy pair we are!

Funny