Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It's 46 degrees with the humidex

I don't know if I've ever experienced heat like this. It is 36 degrees outside. Feels like 46 when you factor in the humidex. Thank goodness there is wind- I can't even imagine what the heat and pollution would be like without it. Walking outside is like walking into a sauna- really. When you walk out of the apartment you are hit by a wall of intense heat. The last time it was this hot on August 1st was in 1955.

I had to do some running around this morning- I walked to High Park, and took cover in the trees for awhile, then got some groceries for dinner tonight (chinese food!), and some yummy (I hope!!) soy 'ice cream' sandwiches for desert.

Jeremy and I had an awesome weekend. While I was away at camp he discovered a pub nearby, which he thought was fantastic. So, on Saturday night, with our friend Gilles, we decided to head over to the pub. It was awesome. They have a great, small, 2nd floor, backyard patio- complete with trees, flowers and bushes, and cedar benches. They have a great selection of beer, and an even more impressive selection of Scotch- Jeremy and Gilles befriended the bartender (who we now think might be the owner), and were given very generous pours, as well as samples of his favourite scotch.

Like today, yesterday was also too hot to think- let alone cook, so we decided to go and get some falafels from the corner falafel place. Lured by the thought of a cold pint, we changed our minds and headed over to what promises to be our local haunt, and had a cold one and burger (2 for 1 burgers on Mondays!!) on the back patio. Again, we had a great, great time- and we are planning on going back on Friday with some other friends, and when our very missed friend Karmen comes to visit, we plan on having a long evening there as well. Such a great pub!!!!

My roses are exploding in this heat. I was initially skeptical to buy miniature roses, for fear of them being too easy to kill- but they have done amazingly this summer!! My other plants are doing well, although the violas are looking a little wilted in the crazy heat. Pictures to follow!

3 comments:

Karmen said...

Ooh, the pub sounds great!! I'm definitely a little less enthused about the crazy humid weather! Ahh well . . . it just gave me an excuse to go shopping ;)

I'll give you a call on Thursday morning / afternoon and we can figure out when we can all get together! I was thinking of next Wednesday or Thursday evening(Aug 9 or 10). Do either of those work? Depending on what your days look like, I can probably squeeze in a little 'girl time' for just the two of us, since Rich is working some of the days I'll be in town.

We'll chat! I'm super excited!

Greg and Farrell Clark said...

I'm jealous you guys get to hang out - have a great time!!! (But not jealous of the heat, I have to admit, or at least not the humidity. We're going to Florida in two weeks - every day is like that! How will I survive?!?)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for you to visit, Shauna! I have been horrible for keeping in touch, been in a weird funk lately! Definately have to make time for a girls night while you are here.

I have some cheques for you too - starting in September, as soon as Ian finds a job I can give you lotsa moula! ;)

Please call when you get in town - my home # is the same. Can't wait to see you.

Mary