Wednesday, June 14, 2006

giggles and the grumpy dude...

uhh. I have a killer headache, and I bet that typing at my computer is not helping that. oh well. I just got home from a gig playing for a retirement party. I should be out getting groceries so I can make something for dinner (pasta salad tonight!!) but I just can't muster up the energy to walk to the store. So how 'bout an interesting story from my subway ride home??.....

Remember what it is like to get a fit of the giggles? I can remember a couple very inopportune moments when I had the giggles hit me. (Rehearsing in Wind Ensemble with Mary... try and try, we just could NOT stop laughing. I had tears running down my face, ugh, it was so great and so embarrasing and so awful all at the same time) anyways. These 2 young teenage girls got on the subway, with a SERIOUS case of the giggles. The subway was also delayed, so we were at a stand still for a very long time. So, these 2 girls are sitting across from eachother- one beside me. And I really just couldn't help myself from smiling. It was so refreshing, seeing such happy, out of control laughter on the end of the day commute home- when most people are grumpy.

So, I'm totally enjoying the out of control laughter of these 2 girls. They'd just about get it under control, and then one of them would burst out into a fit of laughter. After a while, all of a sudden this guy sitting across from me bursts out, "DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM OR SOMETHING??!!!"

I was floored. I couldn't believe it. Everyone around these 2 girls is smiling, trying not to be sucked into the laughter abyss- and this dude, starts to start something!! Before I could even think, I was getting involved- "What's wrong with laughing??", I said. I think he was surprised that someone else would even get involved. But here I was thinking, wow, this guy has serious issues, if he, a grown man, has to yell at 2 young teenage girls, because they are LAUGHING.

Do you know what his response to me was?? "Well, one of them keeps looking over at me!! " Okay guy, you are sitting across from a giggling girl on a super packed subway. Where on earth would you like her to look???!! I couldn't believe that this grown man was so self involved and so conceited, and had so little confidence that he wanted to start something with some girl because he thought they were laughing at him. I couldn't believe it. I was like, "Dude, (I actually said dude!! where did that some from?!! I NEVER say dude!!!) you are sitting across from them, on a packed subway. Where else would you like them to look???" Keep in mind that I am dressed to the nines at the time- just coming back from a gig. I'm wearing a very expensive black tuxedo suit, I have great make-up, and my hair is tamed and sleek- blown straight. not the sort of person who typically gets involved. and then I call him DUDE!! Anyways, he shut up right away- realizing that he was facing a formidable enemy ;) (haha!!) I think he felt pretty embarrased, actually. He pretended to sleep- at least until I got off the subway to go home!!

That's my story. And now my stomach is the one growling with anger. I guess it's time to go visit the corner store.

Have a great night!!

3 comments:

Karmen said...

Too funny! I can just picture the scene!

How come you get the GOOD subway stories, and mine were all creepy drunk guy stories. *sigh*

By the way, you'd be proud of me today! A few weeks ago, I branched out and bought a new eye shadow from MAC called Satin Taupe. It's a gorgeous dark taupe-y colour that the girl convinced me would look great. I finally tried it out today with a shimmery pink base, and it looked AWESOME! I swear - I looked in the mirror and thought "I look like Shauna did my eyes!" Yay!! There's hope for me yet!

Ooh, and I got a funky haircut - I'll take pics soon :)

bluemoon said...

ohhh i so remember that shauna...

the worst time it ever happened to me was at the symphony... i was there for beethoven's 7th, and for some really, really stupid reason i got the giggles during the second movement, of all times. and it was so horrifying, especially as a musician! i was getting the worst dirty looks, and was mid-isle, so i couldn't even get up and leave! horrifying!

good for you, sticking up for the happy people!

m.

Just the Goods said...

OMG! What an aweome story ;-) I LOVE how you stuck up for them, and I soooooo love that you said dude ;-) I catch myself saying it, and when I do, it's like: DOOOD! ;-) ha ha!

Oooh! I'm a friend of Mike's, BTW -- I followed a link from his blog to yours, which I think is groovy ;-)

Maybe I'll see you around Toronto? You should be pretty easy to spot with that fabulous helmet and pair of goggles!!!

:tee hee:
- Milena