Tuesday, August 28, 2007

On writing comments on blogs.

Why do I read blogs? The blogs I frequent most often are usually those of my friends, and most of them live hundreds, if not thousands of kilometers away from me. Blogs are a great way for us to keep up with what is happening in eachothers lives. I read the blogs of a few people I don't know personally because I enjoy the way they write, and the recipes or other interesting things they write about.

Do I leave comments? Sure, on my friends blogs I absolutely do. Do I leave comments on other blogs? Yes, if I am feeling particularily inspired about something they wrote. Do I anonomously leave comments which attack the writer? Never. If I feel strongly about something I write my name. Blogs can often lead to an interesting dialogue between the author and readers. That is what makes writing a blog so interesting!!!

It has been interesting to see what readers leave comments about. I guess I'm fairly lucky that most of the comments I receive are generally positive and encouraging. So, I was quite surprised to read a comment correcting my grammar in a less than kind way. I'll let you know right now that I am not a "dumbass" thank you very much. I do appreciate the correction- infact I had intended on fixing it shortly after I published that post, but alas, my full, busy, fabulous life got in the way and my little grammatical mistake fell by the wayside. Oops. Little did I know that someone would take such offense- I'm so sorry to have caused you such anger!! I do appreciate the thought though. You're absolutely right that I wouldn't want someone to read my bio and think I was a "dumbass". But then again, I did begin each sentence of it with a capital letter, so it can't be that bad. I was kind of hoping that those reading it would just enjoy reading a short story instead of a list of pretentious facts that most people don't really understand or appreciate anyways.

For those of you who care to read the comment being discussed, you can view it here. What do you think? Personally, I'm quite happy to have the odd imperfection. Especially if it means that my life is so interesting and fabulous that I don't have the time or desire to read other's blogs with the sole intent on correcting their grammar and calling them "dumbasses".

4 comments:

Thumbing Luxury said...

I do have a friend who once left a grammatical correction on my blog. It's just his style, and one of the things that makes him who he is- a good guy married to a good friend. He had only the best intentions I am sure. I just want to let him know that I am not writing about that instance here. The issue I am addressing relates only to the comment about my bio!!

Jillian Camwell said...

hahaha...transitive...

and double hahahahahaha upon reading the above comment. Hmmm...who could that be?!

I completely agree with you on the blog manners issue. I've thought about allowing anonymous comments, but I'd prefer knowing who wrote the comments. By the way, I get very few comments, probably because of that!

Natasha said...

Wow! For someone who is such a grammar stickler, they clearly do not care about punctuation and other basic rules of writing in English. Everybody, say it with me now: I hate people! People are dumb!

I've gotten some strange comments on my blog. I recently had to turn on comment moderation. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't sooner. It's great knowing who is posting and when, and which post is getting a comment. Fortunately, I haven't had to not publish any. I've had to delay a few, due to some people trying to ruin a giant surprise, but other than that, it's all good.

Natasha said...

Also, you're sure this wasn't anybody you know? I know a few people that you know that could feel snarky. It just seems to me, why be "anonymous" if they don't know you anyway?