Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mr. Pomeranian

As I was taking the subway (almost a month ago now, how time flies) I had quite an entertaining experience. I was standing at the end of the platform looking towards where the train would be coming from, when my eyes were suddenly distracted from their task. Newly arriving on the platform was a very tall, bearded man pushing a blue pram. This wasn't too out of the ordinary in itself, but the fact that he was surrounded by at least 10 little pomeranian dogs barking and yapping made for quite the scene.

They were quite well behaved for little dogs with more attitude than would seem possible. Travelling together in their little pack, free of the restrictions of leashes, they happily bounced along the platform, freely barking at whomever caught their attention. I myself was deemed special enough for a bark by the leader of their pack. He came right up to my leg, gave me a little bark of a greeting, then strutted back to his gang. By this point, Mr. Pomeranian himself had pushed his blue pram close enough to me that I could discreetly peer inside.

Imagine my surprise when I saw, not a little baby or toddler, but another 4 or 5 little pomeranians all sitting together. Prim and proper as pomeranians could be, carefully viewing the goings on of the rest of their pack from their prime pram position in life. It was about this point when the subway came roaring into the station, and all of the little dogs clustered like small children against the back wall, until the subway had reached a full and complete stop. Alas, when we boarded the train I was one car ahead of Mr. Pomeranian and his crew- although I can imagine that the ride that ensued was as equally entertaining as the waiting time on the platform.

No comments: