Monday, July 10, 2006

wild turkeys and stars at night

Phew. What a week it has been. I got home yesterday afternoon from teaching band camp, have today to do some laundry and re-pack and eat as much good food as I can, and tomorrow morning I head back up for camp #2.

Camp was pretty good. The kids were awesome- and I had a great time teaching them all things flute. We also spent some time listening to some recordings of flute music, and watched a dvd of a flute concerto. They loved it. For more camp/teaching stories- check out coach house music flutist

Camp #1 is the longest camp- 9 days. Camp #'s 2 and 3 should fly by- as they are only 6 days- with Tuesday being the intro day, and Sunday being the Concert. Hopefully I won't be as exhausted after those camps. I got home yesterday just in time to watch the world cup game, and promptly fell asleep on the couch for 3 hours.

While I was gone Jeremy was in charge of our plants, and I have to say, he did a fine job of taking care of them- they are still alive!! And, the sweet pea seeds I planted (I know it was a little late in the season, but I don't care!!) have all come up and are growing like crazy!! I'm hoping for some blossoms in a few weeks- just in time for me to be finished band camp and have 3 weeks off to enjoy them. I can't wait.

Oh- one camp story for you. If you don't know this about me already, you will soon discover that I am a HUGE fan of birds. I love birds, and since last year, I've been looking forward to going up to camp to see some of the birds you don't normally see in Toronto. Finches, warblers, hummingbirds, turkey vultures, hawks and eagles, an owl if you're really lucky, and countless other types of birds I still need to identify. So, to my delight, I was thrilled to find out that this year the park has been over run with wild turkeys!!! They are so huge and ugly, and hilarious when they try to fly, and I think they are GREAT!!

One early morning I went for a walk before teaching, and to my delight I stumbled across 8, yes 8!! wild turkeys all together. I think they must be a family. Now, for those of you who have never seen a wild turkey, they really are huge. They come up at least to my waist- if not higher. So, naturally I felt a little apprehension finding myself only a few feet away from 8 enormous turkeys!! I could just see the headlines- "flute teacher found, attacked by wild turkeys", or something of the sort. Anyways- after a moment of these ridiculous thoughts, the turkeys (being really stupid) decided to make a break for it, and before I knew it they were gone, and I was left alone with just some bird songs, some insects, and the wind blowing through the wild flowers and trees to listen to.

I'll post an awesome picture of a wild turkey within the next few days.

Time to do some laundry, and then a nap!!

No comments: